Monday, July 30, 2012

Tank modelling

Finally got back to my panzer IV modelling. I'm taking my time about figuring out the main shapes, because if those are wrong, nothing else will be right. It's still hard to figure out which components I should make separate, and which I should build as a single mesh, because in the manufacturing process, the tank started as many many separate pieces, but of course they were welded together, which is difficult to do cleanly digitally. So I'm trying to plan ahead, but that's also difficult to do without much hard surface modelling experience.

And I started on the drive sprocket (the powered wheel), because it was a little more fun.



Later,
Stuart

2 comments:

  1. Does the (historical) manufacturing process inform the modelling process? Google "panzer tank factory" (images)... some interesting pictures of German tanks on the assembly line. Might be helpful??? Cheers, bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think that will help. If I was really smart I would have started that way, but I think it'll help with some of the pieces. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete