Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Neuron builder - v2 WIP

My supervisor showed me a type of data in a simple text format that encodes the branching structures of neurons. He thought it would be interesting to try to create a script that would import this data into Maya and build a 3D representation of it. I thought that was a neat challenge, since I was already trying to develop ways to procedurally model neurons.

This is where I'm at so far, creating simple cylinders from the data:


This is a section of the code. It's a bit tedious switching back and forth from MEL to Javascript for Unity, but I keep learning new things, and it's always satisfying to click a button and have hundreds of commands executed instantaneously.


Later,
Stuart

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool... looking forward to the next version

    ReplyDelete