Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sketch 3/3

Here's the last of the three linear sketches I did for textbook illustration.


My prof returned it with the critique that the dentition needed work, so I tried to improve the accuracy of the teeth on this one. I also finished labelling them, which was kind of fun. The toughest part was figuring out what to label (not enough room to label every tiny detail) and fitting the lines in so they were at least slightly evenly spaced. I get the impression that it would be ten times easier on a computer (we're going to be doing some Illustrator labelling next week). Not that it would be faster on a computer, but that I could gratify my perfectionist tendencies with tweaks and endless rearrangements. I could do that with pencil, but the eraser would eat through the paper eventually, so I had to be satisfied with an imperfect but decent (I hope) result.

I also took the first bellringer exam for anatomy on Tuesday which was tough but reasonable. I feel pretty good about it, so hopefully the mark I get reflects that too. It's kind of an insane method of taking a test; once you finish the last question, you hand it in and you don't get to go back to anything before. Sure, if you have a few spare seconds here or there, you can try to flip back and wrap your head around a question that you weren't 100% sure on, but there's not a ton of room for that; you gotta get it right off the bat.

Rdio. I started a 1-week trial today, and I'm sold already. It's crazy to have all the music (legally) that you could ever want to listen to at your fingertips. Most of the time I'm listening to music, it's at the computer, so it makes sense for me, but with certain subscriptions you can sync stuff to your phone for offline mobile listening. They've got a fantastic selection too... old stuff like Queen, Simon & Garfunkle, Beach Boys; new indie stuff like Mother Mother, Tegan & Sara, Young the Giant, Awolnation; Christian stuff like Starfield, Switchfoot, Relient K... there's only a few things that aren't available that I've seen, and it's usually something obvious like the Beatles who have real issues with music licensing, or a really obscure Australian group (although Temper Trap is there!). And for those that are using Grooveshark, it has waaay better navigation and UI and selection and it's so much easier to build a collection and playlists. And I'm not sure Grooveshark is totally above board. It's a lot easier to discover new stuff too; I've already scrolled through all the top charts and some recommendations (and for once the top listened albums aren't completely full of nauseating pop and R&B). Anyway, we'll see if I still enjoy it in a few days time, or if there's a nasty catch.

Even though school is crunchingly busy, I'm managing to work through the SimplyMaya tutorial I'm reviewing (apologies for it taking sooo long). Should be up on Monday, if everything goes smoothly this weekend.

Later,
Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment