Saturday, February 28, 2009

Screenshot!

Ok, so I'm still working on the best way to post screenshots and stuff, cause I'm new to this obviously. I just downloaded picasa and it seems to work pretty well cause it has built in integration with blogger, both being google things.
Anyways, this is my attempt at a screenshot, we'll have to see how it turns out on the blog.

The book I have that is trying to teach me to be a modeller/animator is using characters and scenes from a movie called Delgo as tutorial subjects. You may have seen the trailer (or even the movie, yikes) and thought, boy that looks lame. It looks like the kind of movie that was based on a project designed to teach people how to model and animate, but shouldn't have tried to make money. Ten years ago a movie could maybe stand up purely on it's effects and CG status. Not anymore. But if you'll notice my subtle point made a couple sentence fragments ago, the subject matter actually serves as a teaching tool pretty well. All this to say that the weird gray hominid figure above is Delgo. That's right, one of the Lochni is being created before your awed eyes.

So, about the modelling process... I was kind of hoping that my screen shot would include the user interface and buttons and tools and all that, but I just got the viewport (fancy term for the part of the screen that you work in). I'll try to fix that for some future shots, but the important stuff is there. If you're really bored, by the way, just close your tab and come back in a few weeks. Maybe there will be something interesting happening then. So far, I've blocked out the main figure, and now I'm adding some more detailing in the arm (and hidden leg) region. Because at the end of the process I'll just be mirroring the right (left if you're delgo) half of the figure to the left (right if you're delgo, yeah, ok I'll stop) I only need to really work on the right (left if...) side which is why the right (l...sorry) is more detailed and the left (..) looks like he got his right (ha, tricked you there) arm stuck in a plasticine-noodle-maker.

So that's about all I should probably say about this at this point, but come back soon and I maybe will have progressed with the progress process.
Later,
Stuart

PS I could do this sort of work-in-progress (WIP for geeks) thing on a forum like simplymaya.com, but I'm hoping that my readers won't know much about modelling and will be impressed (suckers) with my feeble attempts.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment