Saturday, August 1, 2009

Challenge 1-Alien

So here's my final concept art alien submission pic thing:

I'm moderately satisfied with how it turned out... learned a bit about photoshop and brushes, layers, workflow, lighting and all that sort of thing. I'll be doing lots more painting in photoshop to practice lighting and color schemes and stuff.

Erick produced a decent effort, but neither of us spent a ton of time on the pics, so the first challenge resulted in a draw. (haha, get it)

Next challenge: Due Saturday evening, a piece of futuristic furniture...

4 comments:

  1. Alright, so since I want people to offer constructive criticism on the stuff I post, I'll go first and show you how it's done... ;p (nice little merged emotive con there).

    I think it's got an interesting overall look. I don't know if the colors work, since I know little about color theory, but it appeals to me somehow. That being said, I think the background could have a bit more to it. A shadow underneath would be nice; it looks like he's just floating. The feet don't really work for me, they're a bit shapeless. I like the lighting on the hair, but the lighting on the face could use a bit of work, and the mouth seems kinda tacked on. If there was more time, I would suggest a few more levels of light gradation in the legs and back. Overall though, not bad, and keep up the good work.

    There, that should give the artist a bit to go on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. It has good character but maybe it needs a bit more form. I was thinking about symetry and how it can be used as a tool for form. One subconciously flips between two sywmetrical parts even when the picture is in perspective. In your picture the legs don't compute because they don't have symetry. Use symetry to your advandage when drawing complex shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the legs not having symmetry, do you mean they're not in the same position, or that the feet and legs don't have the same shape even if the character was in the typical T-pose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The latter; an audience can recognize unfamiliar shapes if they are repeated and reinfoced in symetrical places on a body etc.

    ReplyDelete