Tuesday, February 26, 2019

10th Anniversary

Ten years ago today I wrote a short blog post entitled "Blog?". It was the first post on this blog, and the public beginning for Biocinematics. For the 10th anniversary of this blog, I'd like to reflect on the past decade of work by presenting my 2019 Demo Reel:



I wasn't able to include any of my work from AXS Studio, so there aren't as many new pieces to share as I'd like, however this upcoming year is about creating fun new projects.

Speaking of looking forward, as I mentioned in my previous post, this will be the last post I write on this blog. In the future I will be writing posts on my website: www.biocinematics.com
Why the transition?

  1. The Squarespace platform will hopefully allow me more flexibility to construct my blog as I desire, and (importantly!) provide a better mobile reading experience.
  2. It will allow me to have tighter integration with the rest of my website and have more things in one place.
  3. As I've written before, I am entering a new period of my career, and I'd like to focus on what's ahead with something of a clean page or fresh beginning.
  4. 10 years is a nice round lifespan for a blog, don't you think?

Will I migrate all my existing posts to the new blog? No, these posts are a good archive, with lots of links pointing to them, and I'd like to leave those alive and in-place. Looking back, most of my early posts were about learning the tools I'd need to start making science animations, and there's a lot of stuff which is almost embarrassing, but I don't think it's wise to purge them. In fact, I went back to try to find the first original 3D model I created. I can't access any of the Maya "Personal Learning Edition" or Anim8or models I made when I was dabbling in 3D c.2003-2005, but I did come across this incomplete model of a radio I made on April 04, 2009.

Clearly I was going to mirror it... look only at the right side.
I think I was trying to make game assets for a concept my brother had come up with. I guess I've improved since then. I'm excited to see where the next decade will take me, and I hope you'll come along for the journey, or at least stop by periodically.

Thanks for reading,
Stuart

P.S. Call to action: If you like the kinds of science animations I have in my demo reel, please consider "liking", sharing, and/or commenting on the YouTube video. It does help improve the visibility of my work. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment