Thursday, March 11, 2010

Swiss Army Knife (aka Intro to Modeling)

I finally got around to doing the DT course Intro to Modelling. Yes I've already been introduced to modelling (several times) but I learned several new tools and techniques, and even braved SubDiv surfaces which are still kind of annoying, to me anyway. The project was a swiss army knife, using polygons for things like the saw and the can opener, nurbs for things like the magnifying glass and the keychain part, subdivs for things like the scissors and what everything got converted to anyway. This is a quick render with a color and occlusion pass composited together (I love those occlusion renders).

There's some aliasing going on it seems (at least in photoshop) but this won't go in my portfolio, so I'll move on. There's also a funky dot in the middle of the magnifying glass, some artifact from the NURBS sphere. I'll pretend it's a bit of dust. There was supposed to be a logo on it, but a) it was a DT logo, not the real swiss one and b) I accidentally broke the connection to it and didn't notice until I finished compositing it together. Let me know what you think.

Later,
Stuart

PS I do have a swiss army knife (from Switzerland!) but it only has a small knife, a nail file and some scissors. I wish I had this one.

3 comments:

  1. Kay... maybe I just haven't owned the right kind of swiss army knives, but I don't remember a sawblade...
    Very cool though! Could you make your own logo, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some knives have sawblades. I was going to grab the real logo off the internet, but since another logo was supplied with the training, I thought I was using that, though apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one with a saw blade... I cut down trees with it :)

    ReplyDelete