Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"Social" networking

So... after a three year absence from facebook, I bit the bullet, and Biocinematics now has an official facebook page. I also signed up for twitter (@Biocinematics). Am I a fan of facebook? Pretty much no. Am I a fan of Twitter? Not really. Heck, I don't even have a cellphone. So why bother with these things?

Well, partly because even though I have serious reservations with constant "connectedness", it is kinda fun. And part of it is because even though I don't have a personal facebook page, most people do, and many people find it easier to follow a twitter feed than a real blog... so why not use other (more popular) media to share things? I still very much plan on using this blog as the main location for all major updates and project progress. However, it may be handy to share shorter bits of info or links using twitter, or to have a different kind of community with facebook.

And probably the biggest part of it is that if I plan on using the internet for work (especially freelancing), networking, distribution, and "self-promotion" may play a big role, so keeping up to date with social media trends is part of my education, as strange as it may sound.

Regardless of all this introspection, it'll be fun to figure out how each of these formats plays a role both in my personal projects and in my masters degree, which is rapidly approaching. Wait, that sounded like more introspection.


Like me! Follow me! Subscribe, retweet, share! Click all those buttons that validate my existence! Make sure I spend all my time updating statuses and cross-linking everything I've ever done! Lest I realize that it's more important to work on projects!

Okay, I'm hoping this will be the last "misc" post for a while. Once June is over, I'm hoping to start another short project; although I'll be wrapped up in finding housing, packing, moving, getting immunized against cadaver germs, I'm still planning on getting some good chunks of Maya time in.

Oh yeah, and Cinema 4D (a homolog of Maya) is part of the BMC curriculum (notice the difference between BMC [Biomedical Communications] and BCM [Biocinematics]), so I want to get a trial and gain familiarity with the program this summer too. And Zbrush. And lots more drawing...

Two more weeks of work; my current real job, that is!

Later,
Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment