Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cinema to the fourth dimension

Weeeelll... been learning some Cinema4D as part of the communications technology course this semester. For those not versed in the nerdy spectrum of 3D software, C4D is closest to Maya (in terms of software I have posted about on this blog). In fact, there's very few things that one can do that the other can't. However, some modules are more advanced and/or cleverly designed in one or the other software, so it's not a bad thing to learn both C4D and Maya (or modo or houdini for that matter, the other two packages that I find intriguing: modo for modelling and houdini for FX). But I digress. Here's my first attempt at making something after watching a few tutorials. It's not that great, but it's a lot better than my first Maya attempt, which fortunately has been lost in the sands of time (delgo doesn't count and anyway it wasn't even my first attempt either).
There's a lot I could say about how C4D is so cool and way better in area xyz than Maya or how C4D has some glaring holes in terms of functionality that are frankly shocking, but I try not to be boring, so I'll skip some of that diatribe.

Here's a screengrab of the setup.
I honestly don't know what this shows, besides that the fruit bowl wasn't a photograph (I'm always willing to provide solid evidence for that)... hey look, the table has legs. And there are spiky lines that represent lights (you'll have to take my word for it).

I just noticed today the etymological connection between Cinema4D and Biocinematics. Hmmm...

Later,
Stuart

1 comment: