Saturday, April 4, 2009

So it begins...

My parcel has arrived. I have unpacked it. I am now holding 10,000 dollars worth of incredibly powerful software in my hands... (pauses to pick up the five DVDs)
I cycle through them.

Autodesk Mudbox 2009 Student Version. Digital sculpting and texture painting. Similar to what sculptures do with clay, but without the gooey. I am very much looking forward to tackling this with my tablet (Erick, may I request the return of my tablet?).

Autodesk MotionBuilder 2009 Student Version. Real-time 3D Animation Solution. Used in film, games and TV for creating believable character animation and movement quickly. I likely won't use this as much, since I'm not sure what functionality this will have that Maya doesn't that I would be able to take advantage of. It seems as though Autodesk has many software solutions with overlapping applications, which makes choosing between them difficult. This packaged choice wasn't at all difficult, however.

Autodesk Toxik 2009 Student Version. Node-based Compositing Software. Used to layer together elements to create beautiful final images. Looking forward to learning this software to prove that the result is more than the sum of its parts. I may switch over to Adobe's After Effects at some point, but again, I'm not sure the differences in functionality or application, but it can't hurt to learn this first while I have access to it.

Autodesk Cleaner XL 1.5. High-quality Encoding. This is used to convert my output into various formats, such as Quicktime, DivX, M4A (ipod! I think), TIFF images, Flash? Getting my videos into your preferred system. This one was a bit of a surprise as I didn't see it listed in the package components, but it's very neat and I'm sure this will be a welcome addition to the training process.

And finally... drum-roll please

Autodesk Maya Unlimited 2009 10th Anniversary Edition Student Version!!! The most amazing and widely used complete software solution for modelling, texturing, rigging, animating, lighting, rendering and dynamic simulation in the world! Most of the special effects in TV, ads, movies, and video games incorporate this software into their pipelines. This DVD will potentially be the cornerstone of my career. Enough said. Let me get started now.

Until next time (and there will be a next time for sure now),
Stuart

PS If you don't believe me... behold the majesty

3 comments:

  1. Oooooh... Pretty. If you remove those stickers that say, "Student Edition"... do they become the commercial version? Or are they not stickers, but somehow affixed to the cases in some advanced permanent manner?... because that would be some seriously advanced encryption and content protection. Also, AMU0910AESV looks sweet... I just said that because I wanted to make that acronym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried removing the stickers, but I received a severe shock and the words became highlighted for a brief period of time... I guess I'll stick with the student version for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Until next time" [....happy painting...] you sound like Bob Roos my favorite TV painter... (when i need someone to put me to sleep.)

    ReplyDelete