Sunday, March 8, 2009

More than one way to skin a frog


So it's been a little while since my last post. I've been doing some skinning and joint limit setting. All that really means is attaching my skeleton to my figure, and making sure that the joints don't bend unnaturally. I didn't do a perfect job, but if you think about it, it's actually pretty difficult to figure out which of your bones lets you move in certain ways. Take your ankle for instance... how many axes can it rotate around, and how far in each?? I don't know either... I figure mostly the z-axis on my model (up and down) with a little side to side movement. There's actually fewer bones in my skinned model than in a real human (or Lochni) so there will be imprecision (believe it or not). Anyway, now I can pose my frogman in nearly almost any position I choose. I have him long-jumping here or something. Actually I was going to do a lotus flower yoga thing for a cool screenshot, but I just realized I didn't give enough rotation in the femur head (or hip) to allow that. Oh well, maybe he's a really inflexible frogman. I doubt I would be able to pull off a lotus thing if I sat down and tried it...
Now (or maybe a bit later... setting joint limits for all 30 or so of the hand bones was quite tedious... you figure out your hand and get back to me) on to blend shapes for the facial poses! Next time, delgo will be frowning and/or smiling and/or raising the brows.

Later,
Stuart

2 comments:

  1. ...and I just realized that I didn't pose the hands in any way after all that. Oh well. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that if he really wanted to flip you the bird, he'd be able to... so he must be in a good mood right now.

    ReplyDelete